Tom Meaglia photo

Tom Meaglia, ChFC®, AEP®, CLU®, MSFS

Chartered Financial Consultant

Investment Advisor Representative

CA Insurance Lic. #0567507


Meaglia Financial Consulting

2105 Foothill Blvd., #B140, La Verne, CA 91750


Toll Free: 800-386-3700

Bus:         909-593-6105

Cell:         818-681-8600

Fax:         909-593-6120




January/February 2020

Check Out the Roth IRA

Check Out the Roth IRA

If you don’t qualify for a tax-deferred traditional IRA because your income is too high or if you would rather not bet on federal income taxes being low in the future, when distributions would be taxed, you might want to look at a Roth IRA to help with your retirement strategy.

Who Qualifies?
Your contributions to a Roth IRA are made after-tax, in contrast to pre-tax contributions you may make to a traditional IRA if you qualify by income. In return, you don’t pay income tax on distributions if you are at least age 59 1/2 and have owned the Roth IRA at least five years. You also aren’t required to begin minimum distributions (RMDs) during your lifetime, which you must with a traditional IRA at age 70-1/2.

Anyone can contribute to a traditional IRA, but annual income determines your eligibility for a Roth. In 2019, the limit was $203,000 in modified adjusted gross income if you file a joint tax return and lesser amounts for other filers. There is no income limit for rollovers from a traditional IRA, but you will pay income tax on the rollover amount, so it may be best to do this in years when you have lower income.

One similarity between the two IRAs is that potential growth is tax-deferred. Withdrawals from a Roth IRA become tax-free once you meet the holding requirements.

Why this Works
If you’re young and unsure how much money you’ll need in retirement, and especially if you believe income tax rates will be higher in the future, a Roth IRA may be for you. Older workers may also prefer a Roth IRA for a few reasons. First, the obvious: tax-free distributions. Second, you don’t have RMDs, which may be important if you have other retirement income. Third, you can continue contributing to a Roth after age 70 1/2 if you have earned income. You can’t do that with a traditional IRA.

Pay taxes now or pay them later? Talk to your financial professional to help you make that choice.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

Investment advisory services are offered through Fusion Capital Management, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor. The firm only transacts business in states where it is properly registered, or is excluded or exempted from registration requirements. SEC registration is not an endorsement of the firm by the commission and does not mean that the advisor has attained a specific level of skill or ability. All investment strategies have the potential for profit or loss.
Meaglia Financial Consulting and LTM Marketing Specialists LLC are unrelated companies. This publication was prepared for the publication’s provider by LTM Client Marketing, an unrelated third party. Articles are not written or produced by the named representative.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.